Wednesday, June 2, 2010

DIY Stamped Lavender Sachets for Wedding Favors

As part of our wedding favor packages, we put together lavender sachets. I loved making these -- my home office (aka Wedding Central) smelled like lavender for a month! Hopefully, the sachets are making our guests' homes smell good right now.


1. Get some muslin bags.
I've found that cotton muslin bags work better than the organza bags you traditionally see with wedding favors. The small dust-size bits of lavender mixed in with your dried buds will get through the organza when you put it in a drawer, leaving it all over your clothes!
I bought the smallest muslin bags I could find (2 3/4" x 4") to fit into my favor boxes from Mountain Rose Herbs. The quality of the stitching and size of the bags varied a lot in the batch I got, so I'm glad I ordered extra.


2. Get a pretty stamp or two
I designed a quick "thank you" stamp and had it made by RubberStamps.net. I was very impressed by the quality of their art-mounted wood stamps. The stamps are really crisp, and the design is laser-engraved on the top wooden part.


Don't forget ink! I bought an Archival Ink Jumbo Pad because it was the only stamp pad I could find that was big enough to fit my stamp.  You may be able to find additional colors at KMart or Linens N Things.


I found a few lavender-related stamps online, but most of them looked too small and intricate to stamp onto a rough fabric like muslin. I tried this one from Ellen Hutson on my muslin bags, but it looked more like a bunch of wheat than lavender since I didn't ink it in different colors.


You could also simply stamp your initials or a short message on the bags in your wedding colors, like this wedding from Elizabeth Anne Designs. See the "j+f" on the bags?


Alphabet stamp sets come in all kinds of fonts, from typewriter to artsy to scripty.


3. Get some dried lavender buds
There are tons of places online that sell dried lavender in bulk. I chose a local farm with free shipping, Imagine Lavender Farm. I ended up buying way way way too much lavender, since I didn't have a good idea of what a pound of dried lavender looks like. This is a two pound bag:


Once you have the materials, get to stamping and filling! Make sure to tie the bags tightly to prevent any buds from spilling out.

Some other DIY sachet tutorials

8 comments:

  1. Storing the lavender in these cute muslin bags will make for great gifts. And thanks for all the ideas of making the bags more attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weddings are happy occasions, not only for honeymooners, but also their friends, relatives and friends. Therefore, couples who marry more than ever, to participate in customizing your wedding. These days are not only involved in a large more traditional part of the decision of marriage, dates of marriage, reception areas, guest lists, themes, motifs, or entertainment, but also became a practical lower than even the smallest details and design phase, such as wedding favors, wedding napkins, personalized ribbons and labels for packaging in general and marriage custom. For great idea plese visit www.weddingnapkinsusa.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I am also from League City and my son is getting married in NY next June. The bride wants to give away lavender scented heart shaped soaps. They thought I knew how to make soap. No, I don't. I found a great great soap business on line who actually sells wedding favor lavender heart shaped soap. They are very reasonable. I bought two samples for my son and they were very happy with them. This is their link
    http://www.healthyoptionsofdaysgoneby.com/products/Chocolate-Lovers-Wedding-Heart-Favors.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from LC too! We made these for my sister's baby shower over Labor Day. They were a huge hit with all the ladies. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice thanks for posting this it really fits for wedding favors. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. What size stamp did you order?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an extremely well written article.I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome ideas. Thank you for sharing this. It's very helpful especially to those who's looking for a great wedding favor. Visit our blog Unique Wedding Favour Ideas

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=22abd2df28b2ee309b5335329ee96249